Forget the calendar. This...this, my friends is the Official Start of Summer. There will be parades. There will be sappy e-mail forwards telling us what it really means to be A True Patriot. Men and women who have served in our military will be honored - some with a 60 second clap & cheer during church. And many us will gather for leisurely family moments featuring picnic food.
Yes, the food. Memorial Day Weekend has its own food culture. Let us pause briefly to remember some of the great things that have been uttered about this famous All-American Weekend. Enjoy.
10. Give hot dogs a chance - John Lennon
9. Give me a hot dog or give me a hamburger - Patrick Henry
8. Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a grill. It was really great - Abraham Lincoln
7. It's the pork chops, stupid - Bill Clinton
6. You love me, you really, really love me! - Sally Field (playing potato salad)
5. I have a dream. It is about ice cream - Martin Luther King, Jr. (at the birth of rap)
4. Ah, beer, my one weakness. My Achilles heel, if you will - Homer Simpson
3. Frankly my dear, I don't use sun block - Clark Gable (about 6 hours before a nasty sunburn)
2. Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips! - John Candy
1. It’s so beautifully arranged on the plate – you know someone’s fingers have been all over it - Julia Child